Sharing video content across social media platforms has grown in popularity over the years, whether as a form of entertainment or to spread awareness about important issues. While many apps such as YouTube already allowed users to create and upload videos, TikTok has changed the landscape for content creation. The site is mostly used by young people and children, but what is TikTok exactly?
TikTok’s parent company released the video app in 2016, but it wasn’t until 2018 that it gained popularity on a global scale. As of 2022, over 1 billion people have a TikTok account, and over 3 billion have downloaded the app, making the social network the sixth most popular platform in the world. It’s also one of the most downloaded apps from the Apple Store. Read on to learn more about what TikTok is and how it helps market businesses.
What Is TikTok?
TikTok allows users to create and share short-form video content on any topic. Many TikTok users utilize the app to make fun, short videos of themselves singing, dancing or using the lip sync feature to create comedy skits. Seen as a bite-size version of YouTube, TikTok limits how long videos can be, with most of them ranging between 5 and 120 seconds. People can also gain followers on their account and comment on or like each other’s content. Options for a public or private account are also available for any users with privacy concerns.
How Is the TikTok App Different From Musical.ly?
Although Musical.ly and TikTok share a similar short format content, TikTok is a separate entity that offers a lot more. Each user can choose from a wide selection of song snippets, sounds, special effects and filters. TikTok also has a bigger variety of content, ranging from magic tricks to funny videos to dance challenges. More viral content has emerged from TikTok than Musical.ly, with some videos being popular with users across several countries.
Why Is the Social Media Platform TikTok So Popular?
The TikTok app has been most popular with younger age groups. Gen Z and millennials make up the two largest demographics. The minimum age to make an account is 13, but nearly half of all users are between 18 and 24. Younger users may be attracted to TikTok because it allows them to share videos with their friends. Kids also enjoy the fun features that come with the app, such as lip syncing, choosing background music for their videos, interacting with other users through comments and using cool effects, such as the duet feature.
Instead of simply watching content online, TikTok gives each user the opportunity to become a content creator themselves. A lot of celebrities have also taken to TikTok, creating their own fun content or promoting paid partnerships with brands. The app has become more than just a place to post entertaining content — it’s also a way to market products and raise brand awareness.
How to Create Videos on the Social Media App
TikTok’s popularity is projected to continue growing, which makes it a great place to post content if you’re hoping to start a trend or promote your brand to earn more money. If creating a video seems tedious and daunting, check out these easy content creating steps:
- After opening TikTok, look for the “Create video” button on your profile page or the plus sign at the bottom of your screen. You can choose to post a video from your camera roll or film original content by tapping the red record button.
- If you choose to record new content, decide how long you want the video to be and choose the appropriate timeframe. TikTok now allows users to upload videos up to 10 minutes long. The “Adjust clips” option in the right-hand menu can help you trim the length of your content or apply other edits.
- After filming, you can choose music to add to your video. TikTok will suggest tracks based on your video’s content, or you can use the search bar to find other selections. Special effects, stickers and text can also be added, depending on the ultimate goal of your content.
- Once editing is complete, add hashtags or tag other users to help your video gain traction.
- Hit “Post” and let other users interact with the video or share your content on other social networks, such as Twitter and Facebook.
Join Other TikTok Users to Engage With Clients
TikTok is an entertaining app and a great example of how social media marketing platform has become more popular. If you’re interested in learning more about digital marketing for your business, Lead to Conversion, the best digital marketing service provider, offers a variety of services geared toward maximizing your online visibility. Contact us today at 855-473-6582 for more information.