Today, I’m going to help you create a custom report in Google Analytics (GA) to track click-to-call links on your mobile site’s pages. There are two ways to do this in GA – Event Tracking or Virtual Pageviews. We recommend going with the Event Tracking method since Virtual Pageviews will add to the total pageview count.
Using Intrapromote’s mobile site as today’s example, here’s how to setup Event Tracking:
1. Update any GA legacy tracking code. The example GA code below represents the minimum configuration needed to track a page. We recommend updating any legacy tracking code if you haven’t done so already.
var _gaq = _gaq || ;
ga.src = (‘https:’ == document.location.protocol ? ‘https://ssl’ : ‘http://www’) + ‘.google-analytics.com/ga.js’;
var s = document.getElementsByTagName(‘script’); s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
2. Update the code of your Click-to-Call Links as illustrated below:
<a href=”tel:866-570-1785″ onclick=”_gaq.push([‘_trackEvent’,’Click-to-Call’,’Nav’,’866-570-1785′]);”>866-570-1785</a>
<a href=”tel:866-570-1785″ onclick=”_gaq.push([‘_trackEvent’,’Click-to-Call’,’Footer’,’866-570-1785′]);”>866-570-1785</a>
At this point, GA will track the click-to-call events. They can be found under Content > Events > Overview or Top Events. But let’s say you’d like to know demographic information such as region and city, the instructions included in step 3 will do just that.
3. Create the custom report in Google Analytics.
- In GA, click on the Custom Reporting tab next to Standard Reporting on the right.
- Under Custom Reports, click on New Custom Report. The following screenshot illustrates the Create Custom Report page.
- Fill in Title, Name, set type to Flat Table, add Region and City Dimensions, then add Total Events under Metrics.
- If you are tracking any other events be sure to filter them out in the Filters section by selecting Event Category and entering the event. The following screenshot is an example of what the new custom reporting fields should look like.
- Click Save and you’ve just created your custom report!
Not only will you know how many users clicked on the click-to-call link but what general location they are from. If you need help creating the report, check out the video below for a step-by-step tutorial.